What is employee experience?
Employee experience refers to an employee’s overall perception and feelings about their work environment, job role, relationships with coworkers and managers, company culture, and the various tools, systems, and processes in place to support their work.
Employee experience includes all aspects of an employee’s journey within a company, ranging from recruiting and onboarding to career development and offboarding.
What are the benefits of a positive employee experience?
A positive employee experience can lead to increased job satisfaction, higher levels of engagement, improved productivity and efficiency, and lower turnover rates. Companies often prioritize enhancing employee experience to attract and retain top talent and foster a healthy, happy, and thriving culture.
Key factors that contribute to and improve the employee experience
There is no shortage of factors that contribute to employee experience. While these vary from company to company, some of the most common factors include:
- Company culture
- Workplace environment
- Career development and learning opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Work-life balance
- Employee well-being
The more of these factors a company focuses on, the greater the chance of providing a positive employee experience across the board.
How to enhance the remote employee experience
Enhancing the remote employee experience is crucial for companies as more employees work remotely by choice or necessity. Without face-to-face interaction, it can be more challenging to provide a positive employee experience.
Here are some areas of focus:
- Effective communication coupled with regular check-ins
- Flexibility to vary work hours to accommodate personal needs
- Virtual team-building exercises
- Performance management
- Providing regular feedback
Focusing on these five areas can help provide a positive digital employee experience.
Virtual team building
With many employees working remotely, virtual team-building activities are growing in popularity. They can play a vital role in maintaining strong connections and fostering a positive work environment among remote or distributed team members.
To create successful virtual team-building experiences, it’s essential to choose activities that are interactive, inclusive, and enjoyable for all participants. Some popular examples include:
- Online games
- Team-based challenges
- Virtual escape rooms
- Trivia contests
The best virtual team-building activities encourage problem-solving, are collaborative and engaging, and bring a level of fun and excitement to participants.
Another approach to virtual team building is to schedule informal virtual gatherings, such as coffee breaks or lunch sessions. These informal meetings allow team members to socialize, discuss non-work topics, and develop personal connections, much like in a physical office environment.
This kind of informal interaction can help alleviate feelings of isolation and loneliness that remote employees may experience.
Employee experience software
Employee experience software refers to digital applications and platforms used to elevate the career journey of employees within a company. The primary goal of these software solutions is to simplify workflows, bolster communication, and foster employee engagement, all of which lead to heightened job satisfaction and overall performance.
Here are some of the many types of employee experience software:
- Human resource information systems (HRIS): Streamline HR processes such as recruitment, onboarding, benefits administration, and performance management to provide a seamless employee experience.
- Learning management systems (LMS): Facilitate skill development and training through a centralized platform, enabling employees to access educational resources and track their progress.
- Employee engagement platforms: Monitor and improve employee morale, satisfaction, and motivation, such as by using employee surveys, recognition programs, and communication channels.
- Collaboration tools: Encourage employee teamwork and cooperation through messaging, video conferencing, and project management platforms. These are particularly useful for employees in remote settings.
- Workforce analytics: Use data-driven insights to optimize employee experience, retention strategies, and overall workforce performance.
- Well-being programs: Provide resources and initiatives to support employees’ physical, mental, and emotional health. Examples include wellness challenges, fitness apps, and mental health support services.
How to improve the employee experience
Creating a compelling employee experience strategy requires a comprehensive approach that addresses every aspect of the work journey. Regardless of the method, your goal is to ensure that employees feel valued and supported at all times.
Here are some basic steps that can serve as your foundation:
- Assess your current strategy and situation
- Define short- and long-term objectives
- Involve employees, managers, and company leadership
- Implement the relevant technology
- Communicate the strategy to all employees
- Personalize the experience
- Monitor progress
- Adapt and grow
Oyster enables hiring anywhere in the world—with reliable, compliant payroll, and great local benefits and perks.
Employers of Record (EORs) in Sweden: Everything you need to know
The do’s and don’ts of location-based compensation
Curious about Oyster? Book a personalized demo
Leave your details and one of our experts will be in touch.